Over 20 performance venues have been used since 1952. In the early years, locations within walking distance of schools in the downtown were essential, but most school venues were not suitable because of the noise caused by children going to classes. To solve this problem several early festivals were held during the Easter vacation period, and such was the enthusiasm of teachers and students, there were few if any complaints of foregoing vacation periods. Co-operation from church and educational authorities in providing affordable accommodation was most essential and appreciated then as now. The Sisters of Mercy were the most generous of all, providing the Festival with free use of their Auditorium and a Festival Office for many years.
In 1968 the Arts and Culture Centre became available for the first time, and this venue continues to be the centre from which the Festival radiates. Despite a most appreciated reduction in rental charges from the Department of Tourism and Culture for the use of the Centre, it remains a big financial obligation for the Festival, as does the use of all other venues.
[ top of page ]